Being a diabetic means that you don’t only need a healthy diet to maintain low blood sugar levels. In addition, you are required to engage your lifestyle with exercises to further give assistance to managing your health. It is highly advisable nowadays to see a podiatrist beforehand to assess your over-all condition. They can give advice on the best exercises that are suitable for you and may reduce your risks of getting foot problems and infection from working out.
Here are a few tips on proper fitness for diabetics:
- Check your sugar levels before exercising because this will determine if you can do heavy or light routines. Low blood glucose levels might give you risks of hypoglycemia so better keep high carbohydrates items with you while on the gym.
- Monitor your blood pressure if you have your own machine at home before exercising. Working out play a big part in your blood pressure and it can also add risks if overdone. Frequent changes in position for those with low blood pressure might cause dizziness and fainting. Moreover, if you alternate running and push-ups, it might trigger your blood pressure to shoot up.
- Warming up is very important because it controls the rapid increase of pulse rates while exercising. Before stopping, you also need to do light routines to give your heart and body a chance to cool down. This way, you are helping your body manage your blood sugar levels.
- When you exercise, you also have to monitor your weight. At first, you might observe a small increase but this is just due to changes in your muscle tone. Just keep going because by losing weight, you are helping your insulin manage your blood sugar levels.
- Before 10 am and after 4 pm, you can go outdoors for your daily exercise. This way, you are also helping your system activate Vitamin D which is very vital. It does not only improve bone strength but it also helps manage blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetes.
- Correct breathing can help your body maintain balance while exercising. It is a common mistake holding your breathe while lifting but this actually increases your blood pressure. The proper technique is exhaling while lifting up and inhaling while letting it down.
- While doing your work out, it is very important to know your limits. Experts’ advice computation of your limit through your pulse rate. Deduct your actual age from 220 then multiply to 0.65 which is the percentage of desired maximum limit.
- You can consult your doctor for a go signal in exercising. Moreover, technology can help you make life a bit easier. You can invest on blood glucose meters, blood pressure device, heart rate monitors, mobile applications and pedometers. These are very helpful in keeping a track of your body’s condition while working out. In addition, do not forget to equip yourself with water because sweating off in excess can make your blood thick. Remember to keep your body hydrated.
- Experts are encouraging patients with diabetes to avoid wearing tight socks while exercising to avoid poor circulation.
- Ask your doctor for the proper guidelines on exercising which is very suitable for your condition.