Being healthy isn’t just about looking good, it’s about feeling good too. In today’s fast-paced world, it’s important to take the time to nurture your body and your mind. Improve your health with these ten simple tips.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep: Depriving your body of sleep can slow down your brain and speed up the aging process. You should aim for a minimum of seven hours of quality sleep every night. For better sleep, try to reduce light and noise in your bedroom and stick to the same bedtime and wake-up schedule, even on the weekends.
- Healthy Diet: A healthy diet is important not just to lose weight, but for optimal health. Eat a well-balanced diet based on whole foods such as grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources. Stay away from processed foods that are filled with chemicals and devoid of fiber and nutrients. Eating high fiber foods and healthy fats will help you feel full so that you will naturally want to eat less. Don’t skimp on the protein even if you’re cutting back on red Healthy protein sources include poultry, fish, eggs, and legumes. Dairy products are acceptable and when eaten in moderation have been shown to help dieters lose weight and keep it off.
- Exercise: Exercise is an important part of maintaining a healthy weight. As little as ten minutes of cardiovascular exercise a day can help you sleep better and reduce stress. Don’t forget to pump some iron when you exercise. Increasing your muscle mass will rev up your metabolism meaning you’ll burn more calories throughout the day.
- Reduce Stress: Research has shown that there is a link between stress and a variety of health issues including pain, inflammation, high blood pressure and more. Do what you can to reduce stress in your life. If you can’t eliminate the cause of your stress, take some time for relaxation. Yoga, meditation, and massage are just a few ways you can try to reduce stress.
- Spend Some Time in the Sun: Vitamin D is an important nutrient that helps the body fight off illness. It also reduces inflammation, protects against certain cancers, and improves well-being. Vitamin D is plentiful in foods like fish, cheese, and egg yolks, but don’t forget that spending a few minutes in the sun will also help you get your daily dose.
- Drink More Water: With so many soft drinks and juice products available these days, it’s easy to forget to drink water. Staying hydrated is important for your body to function properly. You should try to drink at least eight, 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
- Laugh: Laughter reduces stress hormones and increases immune cells, improving your resistance to disease. At the same time, it triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s feel-good So, go watch that funny movie or learn some new jokes, all in the name of better health.
- Don’t Skimp on Oral Hygiene: Your mother probably told you to brush your teeth after every meal and floss once a day to make sure that you didn’t embarrass yourself with bad breath or food in your teeth. There are also health benefits to keeping those pearly whites in top shape. Proper oral hygiene reduces bacteria that can cause infections leading to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Be Mindful: Practicing mindfulness improves both mental and physical health. Mindfulness helps you to focus on the present by ignoring distractions. This can be done through meditation practice or simply concentrating on the current moment. By slowing down and concentrating on basic things, you’ll be able to clear your mind of worries and stress.
- See Your Doctor: Many people wait to see their doctor until they are sick or experiencing a problem. As you age, it’s important to schedule an annual checkup to keep track of your cholesterol, blood pressure, and other age-related Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
As time goes by and life gets busy, our health and state of mind tend to become less of a priority. It’s easy to forget to take care of ourselves, but these ten tips offer easy ways to focus on bringing balance and health back into your life.
About the Author - Julie Hackett from South Carolina
Julie Hackett is a health and wellness coach based in Hilton Head, South Carolina. She believes that fitness is not about a particular diet or strict exercise regime. Her coaching philosophy is to help people find their unique path to a healthier, active life. As a triathlete, she is passionate about living a healthy lifestyle and helping others on their journey to a better life.